Place:


Higham on the Hill  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Higham on the Hill like this:

HIGHAM-ON--THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Hinckley district, Leicester. The village stands near the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, Watling street, the boundary with Warwickshire, and the Leicester and Nuneaton railway, 2½ miles NE of Nuneaton; and has a postoffice under Hinckley. The parish contains also the hamlets of Lindley and Rowden. ...


Acres, 2, 880. Real property, £5, 245. Pop., 559. Houses, 123. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. Fisher. Lindley Hall was occupied by John Hardwick, who led the Earl of Richmond to Bosworth field; was the residence of William Burton, the first historian of Leicestershire; and is now the seat of Vincent Eyre, Esq. Several Roman coins, three ornamental ancient rings, and a great many silver coins of Henry III. were found, in the early part of the 1 7th century, at or near Watling street. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £552. * Patron, the Rev. J. Fisher. The church is modern, with an ancient Norman tower. There are a national school, and charities £7.

Higham on the Hill through time

Higham on the Hill is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Higham on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Higham on the Hill, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10864

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Higham on the Hill ".