Place:


Rufford  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rufford like this:

RUFFORD, a village and a parish in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Douglas, near the Liverpool and Preston railway, 5½ miles N N E of Ormskirk; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Ormskirk, and a cattle fair on 13 May. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Holmes-Wood, and comprises 3, 102 acres. Real property, £6, 185. Pop., 865. Houses, 149. The manor and most of the land belong to Sir Thomas G. Hesketh, Bart. The New Hall is Sir Thomas' seat; and the Old Hall is the residence of the Dowager Lady Hesketh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £495. Patrons, the Representatives of the late L. Starkie. The church is of brick, with a bell-cupola. There are an endowed school for girls, a schoolfor boys, and charities £22.

Rufford through time

Rufford is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rufford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rufford in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10827

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rufford ".