Place:


Haresfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haresfield like this:

HARESFIELD, a parish and a sub-district in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The parish lies on the Bristol and Gloucester railway, and on the Berkeley canal, 3 miles N of Stonehouse, and 4½ NW of Stroud; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stonehouse. Acres, 2,155; of which 175 are water. ...


Real property, £8,208; of which £2,501 are in the railway, and £300 in the canal. Pop., 612. Houses, 134. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Haresfield Court, belongs to John D. T. Niblett, Esq. An ancient camp is at Broad Ridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £260.* Patron, John D. T. Niblett, Esq. The church is ancient; is supposed to have been built by the prior of Llanthony abbey; comprises nave, two chancels, and a porch, with tower and spire; and was recently repaired. Charities, £15.—The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres. 13,157. Pop., 3,314. Houses, 707.

Haresfield through time

Haresfield is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haresfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haresfield, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10825

Date accessed: 17th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haresfield ".