Place:


Hardwicke  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hardwicke like this:

HARDWICKE, a village and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucestershire. The village stands near the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, 2 miles W of Haresfield r. station, and 4 SW by S of Gloucester; and gives the title of Earl to the family of Yorke. The parish comprises 2,378 acres. Post-town, Gloucester. ...


Real property, £6,139; of which £867 are in the canal. Pop. 625. Houses, 113. The manor belonged formerly to the Botelers and the Tryes, and belongs now to T. B. L. Baker, Esq. Hardwicke Court, a modern edifice, is the seat of Mr. Baker. Other chief landowners are J. C. Hayward and J. D. Niblett, Esqs. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Standish, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English and Tudor; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; contains monuments of the Tryes, and a very ancient font; and was repaired in 1850. There is a reformatory school, founded by Mr. Baker, the oldest in the kingdom; and it has accommodation for 45 boys.

Hardwicke through time

Hardwicke is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hardwicke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hardwicke, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10819

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hardwicke ".