Place:


Gaddesby  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gaddesby like this:

GADDESBY, a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; on an affluent of the river Wreak, 3 miles SSE of Brooksby r. station, and 6 SW of Melton-Mowbray. It has a post office under Melton - Mowbray. Acres, 1, 657. Real property, £3, 393. Pop., 341. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. Gaddesby Hall is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Rothley, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is ancient, and has a lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £26.

Gaddesby through time

Gaddesby is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gaddesby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gaddesby, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10787

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gaddesby ".