Place:


Pleasington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pleasington like this:

PLEASINGTON, a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the river Darwen, and on the East Lancashire railway, 3 miles W by S of Blackburn. It has a station on the railway; a Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1819, at a cost of more than £20,000; and an endowed school, with £10 a year. ...


Acres, 1, 600. Real property, £3, 414; of which £155 are in quarries. The manor, with P. Hall, belongs to J. B. Bowden, Esq. P. Hall is amodern mansion in the Grecian style. P. Old Hall was built in 1587, and was a fine mansion, but is now a farm-house. Feniscowles Hall is the seat of Sir W. H. Feilden, Bart.

Pleasington through time

Pleasington is now part of Blackburn With Darwen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackburn With Darwen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pleasington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pleasington, in Blackburn with Darwen and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10760

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pleasington ".