Place:


Baglan  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Baglan like this:

BAGLAN, a parish in Neath district, Glamorgan; on the E side of the mouth of Neath river, and on the South Wales railway, 1¼ mile S by W of Briton Ferry r. station, and 3¼ S of Neath. It comprises the hamlets of Lower Baglan and Upper Baglan; and its Post Town is Briton Ferry, under Neath. ...


Acres, 6,479; of which 1,240 are water. Real property, £3,471; of which £550 are in mines. Pop. of Lower Baglan, 456. Houses, 92. Pop. of Higher Baglan, 259. Houses, 28. The scenery possesses much beauty and some romance; and the higher grounds command very brilliant views. Earl Jersey's park spreads away, in extensive woods, over several bold hills; and Baglan House, the mansion in it, though without attraction as a building, possesses interest as once the resort of Mason, who wrote here his elegy:

Coventry is dead! attend the strain,
Daughters of Albion.

Coal and fire-clay are worked. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Aberavon, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is very picturesquely situated; and there is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

Baglan through time

Baglan is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baglan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baglan, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10758

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baglan ".