Place:


Fretherne  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fretherne like this:

FRETHERNE, a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; on the Berkeley ship canal, and on the river Severn, 3¼ miles ESE of Newnham r. station, and 7½ WNW of Stroud. Post town, Whitminster, under Stone-house. Acres, 930; of which 365 are water. Pop., 237. Houses, 53. The manor was known to the Saxons as Fethanieag. ...


Fretherne Lodge belonged to the Cliffords, and passed to the Whiteleys. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £282.* Patron, Sir W. L. Darell, Bart. The church is modern; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £95.

Fretherne through time

Fretherne is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fretherne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fretherne, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10711

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fretherne ".