Place:


Frampton on Severn  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Frampton on Severn like this:

FRAMPTON-UPON-SEVERN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The village stands near the Berkeley ship canal, 2¾ miles NW by W of Frocester r. station, and 6½ NNW of Dursley; and has a post office‡ under Stonehouse. The parish comprises 2, 360 acres of land, and 360 of water. ...


Real property, £6, 738; of which £869 are in the canal. Pop., 983. Houses, 223. The manor came into the possession of the Cliffords before the end of the 11th century; still remains theirs; and has a handsome mansion. Much of the land lies lower than high tides in the Severn, and is protected from inundation by a bulwark, called the Hock-Crib, constructed by the Earl of Berkeley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £330.* Patron, the Rev. E. Silver. The church was designed to be restored and enlarged in 1869. There are an Independent chapel, two public schools, and a literary institute.—The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 11, 314. Pop., 4, 499. Houses, 1, 014.

Frampton on Severn through time

Frampton on Severn is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Frampton on Severn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Frampton on Severn, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10704

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Frampton on Severn ".