Place:


Braunstone  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Braunstone like this:

BRAUNSTONE, a chapelry in Glenfield parish, Leicestershire: on the river Wreak and the Union canal, adjacent to the Midland and Swannington railways, 2½ miles SW of Leicester. Post Town, Leicester. Acre. 1,610. Real property, £4,018. Pop., 197. House., 37. Braunstone Frith extra-parochial liberty adjoins on the NE; is included in the returns; and contains Braunstone Hall, formerly belonging to the Hastings family, and now the seat ofWinstanley, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Glenfield, in the diocese of Peterborough.

Braunstone through time

Braunstone is now part of Blaby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Braunstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braunstone, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10644

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Braunstone ".