Place:


Elkstone  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elkstone like this:

ELKSTONE, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near Ermine-street, 7½ miles NNW of Cirencester r. station. Post town, Brimpsfield, under Stroud. Acres, 2, 058. Real property, £2, 261. Pop., 320. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. Stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £360.* Patron, the Hon. R. K. Craven. The church is very ancient, but good; is partly early English; and has a fine Norman door.

Elkstone through time

Elkstone is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elkstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elkstone, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10639

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elkstone ".