Place:


Willington  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willington like this:

WILLINGTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Brancepeth parish, Durham. The village stands on the Durham and Bishop-Auckland railway, 5 miles N of Bishop-Auckland; and has a post-office,‡ designated Willington, County of Durham, and a r. station. The township comprises 1,485 acres. ...


Real property, £3,246; of which £1,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 965; in 1861, 2,393. Houses, 441. The increase of pop. arose from extension of coal mining.—The chapelry was constituted in 1858. Pop. in 1861, 3,784. Houses, 686. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Brancepeth. The church is good; and there are a New Connexion Methodist chapel and a national school.

Willington through time

Willington is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Willington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willington, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1063

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Willington ".