Place:


Colesbourne  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colesbourne like this:

COLESBORNE, or Coldsborne, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, near the highest source of the river Thames, 3 miles E of Ermine-street, and 7 SSE of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres, 2, 200. Real property, £1, 872. Pop., 261. ...


Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. Colesborne House is the seat of H. Elwes, Esq. Colesborne Pen hill is one of the highest summits in the county. Vestiges of a Roman villa have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £127.* Patron, H. Elwes, Esq. The church is early perpendicular English; and was recently restored.

Colesbourne through time

Colesbourne is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Colesbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colesbourne, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10550

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Colesbourne ".