Place:


Cherington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cherington like this:

CHERRINGTON, a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester; 3¾ miles NNE of Tetbury, and 3¾ WSW of Brimscombe r. station. It includes Westrip hamlet; and its post town is Avening, under Stroud. Acres, 1,880. Real property, £2, 474. Pop., 232. Houses, 48. The manor belongs to W. Gordon, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £276.* Patron, the Rev. W. George. The church is Norman. There is a free school. Professor Trap, the translator of Virgil, was a native.

Cherington through time

Cherington is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cherington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cherington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10511

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cherington ".