Place:


Cam  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cam like this:

CAM, a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester; on the Cam rivulet and the Dursley railway, under the Cotswolds, 1 mile N of Dursley. It has a station on the railway; and its Post Town is Dursley. Acres, 2,946. Real property, £9,079. Pop., 1,500. Houses, 373. The property is divided among a few. ...


Excellent cheese is produced. Cloth manufacture is carried on in a large establishment. A battle was fought here, in the time of Edward the Elder, between the Danes and the Saxons. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Low Cam, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English. There are endowed and national schools and large charities.

Cam through time

Cam is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cam, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10479

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cam ".