Place:


Brimpsfield  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brimpsfield like this:

BRIMPSFIELD, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ermine-street, 6½ miles S of Cheltenham r station. It includes the hamlets of Birdlip and Candle-Green; and has a post office under Stroud. Acres, 2,611. Real property, £3,239. Pop., 1,261. Houses, 276. The property is divided among a few. ...


A castle belonging to the Giffards stood here, and was destroyed by Edward II. A Benedictine priory also was here, a cell to Fontenay Abbey in Normandy; and was given by Henry VI. to Eton college. The living is a rectory, united with Cranham, in the diocese of G. and Bristol.-Value, £410.* Patron, J. Goodrich, Esq. The church is very good. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.

Brimpsfield through time

Brimpsfield is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brimpsfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brimpsfield, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10408

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brimpsfield ".