Place:


Bibury  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bibury like this:

BIBURY, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Northleach, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Colne, near Icknield-street, 5½ miles S of Northleach, and 7½ NE of Cirencester r. station; and has a post office under Swindon.—The parish includes also the tythings of Ablington and Arlington, and the chapelry of Winson. ...


Acres, 6,300. Rated property, £6,893. Pop., 1,080. Houses, 234. The property is divided among a few. Bibury House was built by the Sackvilles; is the seat of Lord Sherborne; and commands a fine view along the Colne. A very interesting old manor-house, built in 1590, and belonging to the family of Coxwell, is at Ablington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £1,023.* Patron, Lord Sherborne. The church belonged to the Abbey of Osney; shows features of Saxon, Norman, early English, and decorated; and is in very good condition. There are a Baptist chapel, national and British schools, a police station, and charities £10.-The subdistrict comprises ten parishes and the greater part of Bibury parish. Acres, 31,198. Pop., 5,642. Houses, 1,147

Bibury through time

Bibury is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bibury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bibury, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10379

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bibury ".