Place:


Barnsley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barnsley like this:

BARNSLEY, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; near the river Colne, 4 miles NE of Cirencester r. station. It has a post office under Cirencester. Acres, 2,090. Real property, £1,852. Pop., 327. Houses, 64. The chief property belongs to Sir W. Musgrave, Bart. The manor belonged formerly to the Perrots and the Bourchiers; and the old mansion of the latter still stands. ...


Barnsley Park, the seat of the present proprietor, is extensive; and the mansion is in the Italian style, and contains some frescoes and antiques. Freestone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £320.* Patron, Sir W. Musgrave, Bart. The church is transition Norman, and was recently restored. Charities, £15.

Barnsley through time

Barnsley is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barnsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barnsley, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10355

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barnsley ".