Place:


Ampney Crucis  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ampney Crucis like this:

AMPNEY-CRUCIS, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ampney brook, near Ermine-street, 3 miles E of Cirencester r. station. It contains the hamlet of Alcott-End; and its Post Town is Cirencester. Acres, 2,660. Real property, £4,728. Pop., 648. Houses, 132. The property is not much divided. ...


Ampney Park is the seat of Earl Ducie. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £84. Patron, Rev. E. J. Brewster. The church is an ancient structure, dedicated to the Holy Cross, and in good condition. A free school, founded and endowed, in 1722, by Sir Robert Pleydell, has an endowed income of £80.

Ampney Crucis through time

Ampney Crucis is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ampney Crucis itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ampney Crucis, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10323

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ampney Crucis ".