Place:


Down Ampney  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Down Ampney like this:

AMPNEY-DOWN, or Down-Ampney, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ampney brook, the Thames and Severn canal, and Ermine-street, 3 miles NNE of Cricklade, and 6 ESE of Cirencester r. station It has a post office under Cricklade. Acres, 2,510. Real property, £3,713. Pop., 429. Houses, 82. ...


The property is undivided. The manor belonged at Domesday to Ralph du Todini, and passed to the Duchy of Lancaster, to the Villierses, to Speaker Hungerford, to the Dunches, to Secretary Craggs, to the Eliots, and to the Bouveries. A mansion built on it, in the time of Henry VIII., by Sir Anthony Hungerford, still stands, but has been much altered by modern additions. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £116. Patron, Christ Church college, Oxford. The church is early English, built about the year 1260, by the Knights Templars; and was partly rebuilt about 1845, partly repaired in 1863.

Down Ampney through time

Down Ampney is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Down Ampney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Down Ampney, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10321

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Down Ampney ".