Place:


Spelsbury  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spelsbury like this:

SPELSBURY, a parish, with a village and four hamlets, in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; 1½ mile NNW of Charlbury r. station. Post town, Enstone. Acres, 3,900. Real property, 3,522. Pop., 516. Houses, 112. The property is divided among four. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £211.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a free-school, and charities £12.

Spelsbury through time

Spelsbury is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Spelsbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spelsbury in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10179

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Spelsbury ".