Place:


Claughton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claughton like this:

CLAUGHTON, a township in Garstang parish, Lancashire; on the Lancaster canal and the Lancaster and Preston railway, 2½ miles S of Garstang. Acres, 3, 700. Real property, £4, 690. Pop., 608. Houses, 110.Hall is the seat of the Brockholes family. There are a Preshyterian chapel of 1866, a Roman Catholic chapel, modern and in the Grecian style, a large Roman Catholic school, and the Garstang workhouse.

Claughton through time

Claughton is now part of Wyre district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claughton, in Wyre and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10046

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claughton ".