Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MERTHYR, TREDEGAR, AND ABERGAVENNY Railway

MERTHYR, TREDEGAR, AND ABERGAVENNY Railway, a railway in Glamorgan and Monmouth; from Merthyr-Tydvil, east-north-eastward, to Abergavenny. It was authorized in 1859, on a capital of £150,000 in shares, and £49,900 in loans; it consists of two parts, respectively 9½ and 4 &hy. miles long; it was leased in 1862, for 1,000 years, at 5 per cent., to the Northwestern, with special facilities to the Great Western; and it was amalgamated in 1867 with the Northwestern. It was originally single, and the company was authorized in 1863, with additional capital of £7,000 in shares and £23,000 in loans, to double it, and to make some deviations and new works, all to be completed in Aug. 1866.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a railway"   (ADL Feature Type: "railroad features")
Administrative units: Glamorgan AncC       Monmouthshire AncC
Place: Merthyr Tudful

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.