Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MICHAELSTONE-SUPER-AVON

MICHAELSTONE-SUPER-AVON, a village and a parish in Neath district, Glamorgan. The village stands on the river Avon, 1½ mile NE of Port Talbot r. station, and 4½ SE by S of Neath; and is a considerable but much scattered place. The parish consists of the hamlets of Lower Michaelstone and Upper Michaelstone; part of the former of which is within the borough of Aberavon. Post town, Taibach. Acres of Lower M., 915. Reaproperty, £7,344; of which £27 7 are in mines, and £50 in gas-works. Pop., 5,323. Houses, 951. Pop. of the part within Aberavon borough, 1,647. Acres of Upper M., 4,120. Real property, £776. Pop., 861. Houses, 172. The property is not much divided. The surface is hilly; and the rocks include coal, iron ore, and fireclay. Some of the inhabitants are employed in tin works, collieries, and other works. The living is a vicarage, united with a chapelry of All Saints, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £120.* Patron, the English Copper Company. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Michaelston super Avan AP/CP       Neath PLU/RegD       Glamorgan AncC
Place: Michaelstone super Avon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.