Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MINERA

MINERA, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Wrexham parish, Denbigh. The village stands on the river Clywedog, under Cyrn-y-Brain mountain, 1½ mile S of the boundary with Flint, 2 W of Offa's dyke, and 4½ WNW of Wrexham r. station; and has a post office under Wrexham. The township comprises 1,351 acres. Real property, £21,030; of which £16,000 are in mines, £2,967 in quarries, and £100 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 771; in 1861,1,221. Houses, 265. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of mining and quarrying operations, and from facilities of railway communication. The property is not much divided. The rocks are very rich in iron, lead, and copper ores: and they adjoin the outcrop of the coal measures, adjacent to lime and slate quarries.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1,714. Houses, 367. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £119.* Patron, the Vicar of Wrexham. The church was reported in 1859 as needing repair.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Minera CP/Tn       Wrexham AP       Denbighshire AncC
Place: Minera

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.