Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MINSTEAD

MINSTEAD, a village and a parish in New Forest district, Hants. The village stands 2¾ miles N by W of Lyndhurst, and 5 SW by W of Redbridge r. station; and has a post office under Lyndhurst, and two inns. The parish includes the tythings of Minstead, London-Minstead, Cadnam, Canterton, and Fritham, and part of Emery-Down; also the whole of Bolderwood Walk, comprising 5,400 acres, and the greater part of Castle-Malwood Walk, comprising 3,250 acres. The total acreage, together with that of the small extra-parochial tract of Alumn-Green, is 12,800. Real property, £3,993. Pop., inclusive of Alumn-Green, in 1851,1,054; in 1861,927. Houses, 194. Pop., exc. of A. G., in 1861,905. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to H. Compton, Esq. A triangular stone, near Stoney Cross, marks the site of the tree from which the arrow glanced that killed William Rufus. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Lyndhurst, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £650.* Patron, H. Compton, Esq. The church appears to be of the 13th century, but has been much mutilated. Charities, £16.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Minstead CP/AP       New Forest PLU/RegD       Hampshire AncC
Place: Minstead

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.