Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for SILVERDALE

SILVERDALE, a village in Keele parish, and a chapelry partly also in Wolstanton and Trentham parishes, Stafford. The village stands at the terminus of the Stoke and Silverdale railway, 2 miles W by N of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office‡ under Newcastle, Staffordshire. The chapelry was constituted in 1855. Pop. in 1861, 4,673. Houses, 976. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Wolstanton.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Trentham CP/AP       Wolstanton AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Silverdale

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.