Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WATERBEACH

WATERBEACH, a parish, with a village, in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on the river Cam and on the Cambridge and Ely railway, 5¼ miles NNE of Cambridge. It has a post-office‡ under Cambridge, and a r. station. Acres, 5,556. Real property, £10,916. Pop., 1,435. Houses, 316. The property is much subdivided. There are extensive market-gardens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £605.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is partly early English and all good. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £101 a year, six alms houses, and other charities nearly £270. See Denny-Abbey.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Waterbeach CP/AP       Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Waterbeach

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.