Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WHITESHILL

WHITESHILL, a chapelry in Stroud parish, Gloucester; 1 mile from Stroud r. station. It was constituted in 1843; and it contains Paganhill, Bread-Street, and Ruscombe hamlets,-the first of which has a post-office under Stroud. Pop., 1,516. Houses, 342. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £116.* Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church was built in 1841. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Stroud Ch/CP       Whiteshill CP/Ch       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Whiteshill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.