Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for BRYMBO

BRYMBO, a township and a chapelry in Wrexham parish, Denbigh. The township lies on Offa's Dyke, 3½ miles NW of Wrexham; and has a post office‡ under Wrexham. Acres, 2,451. Real property, £21,643; of which £17,320 are in mines. Pop., 2,432. Houses, 503. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 5,475. Houses, 1,164. The property is much subdivided. Brymbo Hall was designed by Inigo Jones. There are collieries and extensive ironworks. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £256.* Patron, the Vicar of Wrexham. There are several dissenting chapels.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Brymbo Tn/CP       Wrexham AP       Denbighshire AncC
Place: Brymbo

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.