Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COATES (Great)

COATES (Great), a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln; on the Humber, and on the Grimsby and Hull railway, 2½ miles W of Great Grimsby. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ulceby. Acres, 4, 480; of which 1,875 are water. Real property, £4, 259. Pop., 206. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Laceby harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £580.* Patron, Sir R. Sutton, Bart. The church has two brasses, and is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Great Coates AP/CP       Caistor PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place names: COATES     |     COATES GREAT     |     GREAT COATES
Place: Great Coates

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.