Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ELING

ELING, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in New Forest district, Hants. The village stands on the north-west horn of Southampton-water, near the mouth of the river Anton, and near Totton r. station, 4 miles W of Southampton; was known at Domesday as Edlinges; is said to have then had a church, two mills, a fishery, and a saltern; has now a fair on 5 July; has also granaries, storehouses, and several docks; and carries on a considerable trade in corn, timber, and coal. The parish includes South Eling, North Eling, Bartley-Regis, Bauld-oxfee, Bistern and Bartley, Colebury, Durley, Langley, Lopperwood, Marchwood, Rumbridge, Tatchbury, Testwood, Wade, Ower, and Wigley; and has post offices of Bartley, Marchwood, and Totton under Southampton, and Ower under Romsey. Acres, 18, 459; of which 730 are water. Real property, of South Eling, £1, 899; of North Eling, £3, 984; of Bartley-Regis, £1, 725; of Bauldoxfee, £2, 610; of Bistern and Bartley, £719; of Colebury, £1, 847; of Durley, £1, 217; of Langley, £1, 045; of Lopperwood, £545; of Marchwood, £497; of Rumbridge, £1, 358; of Tatchbury, £550; of Testwood, £2, 364; of Wade and Ower, £2, 413; of Wigley, £507. Pop. of the parish, 5, 947. Houses, 1, 179. The limits include 740 acres of New Forest. The property is much sub-divided. The manor, in the time of Edward the Confessor, was under obligation to give half-a-day's entertainment to the king whenever he should pass it; and it belongs now to the Rev. Sir J. B. Mill, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £630. Patrons, the Trustees of the Rev. W. J. G. Phillips. The church is of various dates, from the 11th century; and contains many interesting monuments. The vicarages of North Eling., Marchwood, and Netley, are separate benefices. Value of North Eling, £260. Patrons, the Trustees of the Rev. W. J. G. Phillips. A new church, in the early decorated style, and a new school, - were founded in 1869. The charities include an alms-house for four persons, and a share in Nowes' school. The parish contains the New Forest workhouse. -The sub-district includes 7, 920 acres of the New Forest. Pop., 5, 952. Houses, 1, 180.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Eling AP/CP       Eling SubD       New Forest PLU/RegD       Hampshire AncC
Place names: EDLINGES     |     ELING
Place: Eling

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.