Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LLANVRYNACH

LLANVRYNACH, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the river Usk and the Brecon canal, near the Via Julia montana, and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 3¼ miles SE of Brecon. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 7,127. Real property, £2,840. Pop., 352. Houses, 79. The seat of Brycan, prince of Brecknock, was here. Tregaer was a seat of the Phillips. Maesderwen is the property of the De Wintons. Ty-Mawr belongs to William De Winton, Esq. Roman hypocansts, a conduit, coins, and other relics, were found, in 1775, at Maesderwen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £305.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late J. P. De Winton, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Brynach, and is ancient. Charities, £6. Aubrey, the antiquary, Principal Aubrey, and Jones the friend of Archbishop Land, were natives.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Llanfrynach CP/AP       Brecknockshire AncC
Place: Llanfrynach

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.