Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LYTHE

LYTHE, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Whitby district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the coast, 3¾ miles NW of Whitby r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Whitby.-The township comprises 3,620 acres of land, and 284 of water. Real property, £5,845; of which £240 are in mines. Pop., 1,053. Houses, 242.—The parish contains also the townships of Hutton-Mulgrave, Barnby, Ugthorpe, Mickleby, Ellerby, Newton-Mulgrave, Borrowby, and Egton. Acres, 29,130. Real property, £22,426. Pop., 3,233. Houses, 656. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged once to the Mauleys, and belongs now to the Marquis of Normanby. Mulgrave Castle, the Marquis' seat, is a handsome edifice, in the castellated style; stands on an elevated site, com


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lythe AP/CP       Lythe SubD       Whitby PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Lythe

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.