Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Margam

Margam, par., Glamorgan, partly within the parliamentary limits of Aberavon and partly within the parliamentary limits of Kenfig (Aberavon part, pop. 3872; Kenfig part, pop. 121), 18,347 ac. and 1371 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 5708; has copper and tin works. Margam Park, seat, 3 miles SE. of Aberavon, has a large conservatory with a very fine collection of orange and lemon trees; the park is 5 miles in circumference, richly wooded, and stocked with deer. The church of Margam Abbey (1147) forms part of the parish church. Mynydd Margam, on N. side of park, 1129 ft. high, is covered from base to summit with fine oakwood.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Margam AP/CP       Glamorgan AncC
Place: Margam

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.